Workforce and Training
Several major businesses across the world including Sears, SallieMae and Metlife have already seen the advantages of doing business in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
When you ask these companies why they chose the Penn’s Northeast region, most of the time you’ll hear it's because of our strong, dedicated and affordable workforce.
Strength in Numbers
- With a population of over one million residents, almost half of Pennsylvania's population is included in our workforce.
- 19 colleges, universities and community colleges with over 40 thousand students enrolled and preparing to enter the workforce.
- Some of the strongest job training programs in the country are established in our area to help ensure the workforce in NEPA maintains its skills.
"Everything in Northeast PA is just right.
It's the Goldilocks theory of doing business."
- Scott Meuser, Chairman & CEO Pride Mobility Products Corporation
Low on Cost, High on Value
- Labor costs in Northeastern Pennsylvania are around 20% below the U.S. average. Compare our region to close metro areas including New York City and Northern New Jersey and costs are around 40% less.
- There are various state and local programs created to help make opening a business affordable in NEPA including tax credits, state grants and low interest loans.
"That's what you get when you run a business here in Northeastern Pennsylvania - loyalty, commitment and a great work ethic."
- Rich Calagero, Vice President Metlife Information Technology Services
Our Best Resource
- Generally, turnover rates in Northeastern Pennsylvania businesses are considered lower than average.
- A workforce rated higher than those in the South, Midwest and West Coast. Local workers are consistently ranked “above average” to “excellent” in surveys.